Buren MinStop, iemand bekend?

Ik heb ditzelfde uurwerkje in een Arctos zitten. Ligt ook al weer een paar maanden bij horlogemaker Kalle Slaap omdat de minutenstop niet goed werkt.

1 like

Ik meen dat er ook een versie bestaat van Zentra

Ja er zijn meer merken. Ik heb er ook gezien waarbij de parkeermeter in de onderste helft van de wijzerplaat zit.

Het caliber is een Durowe 471-4.
Dit is wat ik er van weet:

De Zentra waar HorloG het over had.
4be6b7bc-6b5c-11e5-9f0b-bfd86d8bacd7

En de parkeermeter in de onderste helft van de wijzerplaat.

1 like

Wat een grappige horloges,die kende ik nog niet :+1:t2:

Idd :slight_smile: Kende ze ook niet…

Ik meen deze ook wel eens van Stowa te hebben gezien.
Leuke horloges!

Edit:

2 likes

Mafkees, op de band zie ik Baldwin staan.

1 like

En dit is het uurwerk, dat (waarschijnlijk) in al die modellen en merken zit:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?00&ranfft&a0&2uswk&Dugena_2107

@Scudo, werkt de minutenchrono bij jou? Ik heb het idee dat dit een zwakke schakel is in het horloge.
@Maurits: dank!, Google meldt helaas niet zo snel wat kwaliteitsbeoordelingen op dit mechaniek. Enfin, het vuurwerk zelf loopt glad

De mijne loopt tot 20 minuten mee en stopt dan. Het uurwerk zelf loopt erg goed.
Daarom ligt ie bij Kalle.

1 like

Geeft zo’n horloge zo ook een signaal als de tijd verstreken is?

Ik zoek nog zo’n geval voor mijn gekke complicatie verzameling

1 like

Nee, die schijf loopt altijd mee. Je kunt hem alleen op nul stellen met de pusher.

1 like

Dank allen, voor jullie reacties, ik weet flink wat meer!

Met dit caliber kwam ik zojuist ook nog een Mervos Minu-Stop (op Ebay) en een Ludex Min-Stop op www.crazywatches.pl (gallery Chronograph) tegen :slight_smile:

Excuse me typing in English language - I understand Nederlands, but cannot write in a way to be understood by you and your compatriots.
Parking meter watches, mostly marked on the dial by a certain brand’s name plus the subtitle MinStop or MinuStop, were introduced to the market in the middle of the Sixties in the last century by STOWA GmbH.
Two facts let me believe, that German watch company STOWA were the creators of this sort of watch:

• only DUROWE movements are used in these watches (hand wound 391-4 and 471-4; automatic 7524/3)
  • DUROWE and STOWA had their plants in Pforzheim
    There are only 5 different cases (plus different coatings like gold plated, chrome plated, polished or matte, etc.) with about 60 to 70 different brand names on their dials.
    All these cases were made by companies from Pforzheim.
    In the Sixties STOWA built more than a million watches a year and exported more than 50 % of their watches. They were known as a company that didn’t bother to print another brand’s name on their dials if that made an additional turnover for them as an exclusive supplier for this different brand.
    One example in USA were the retail stores chain of W.Bell & Co., based in Rockville, Maryland. They were famous for their reasonably priced jewelry and watches.
    The brand they pushed in their stores was named La Cloche (in English The Bell), related to the stores’ owner’s name.
    So many identical watches were built - only differing in STOWA or La Cloche being printed on the dial. Another different brand, used on the dials, was EDITIA
    This said, STOWA was experienced in ‘badge engineering’ for corporate customers.
    That ‘badge engineering’ varied in stages of production
  • the complete watch was shipped to the corporate customer
  • the watch without the dial was sold. The customer designed and purchased the dial from elsewhere
  • STOWA licensed another watch company to build MinStop watches by themselves.

These are speculative conclusions only, as there are no archives that could prove my experiences with collecting watches, facts and rumours from and around STOWA GmbH from the late Twenties to the early Eighties of last century.

Here you can see some examples out of my MinStop watches collection:
(I wanted to link a URL here, but was told, that new members aren’t allowed to do so. Send me a PM and I will give you the link to be published)

Tot ziens,

Volker

PS:
BUREN is small town in Switzerland and gave it’s name to the company founded there in 1898 by an English company. In their changeful history the brand finally was purchased by Hamilton Watch Company in 1966 and in 1972, after being taken over by SSIH, the company came to an end.
Today the brand’s name is owned by a German company that distributes watches from diverse sources.
I suppose the watch shown by the TO was built in 1966 to 1968 and a logical product from Hamilton Watch Company.

4 likes

Welcome Volker!
Great resume, thanks! Send me the link via pm and I’ll drop it in the thread when I’m back from doing chores. Curious to see your MinStop collection.

Now something completely different, a question about Buren for you. Your first name makes me suspect you’re German or at least of German speaking descent. Would you agree it is rather remarkable that Buren lost its “Umlaut” so long ago? Do you know of more examples in the beginning of the last century? In fact, especially in the USA umlauts are even _added_randomly to brand names to ad a European or Teutonic flavor. They have no clue, but it looks “interesting” to them:
https://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/candlepwr/the-undeniable-umlaut/
It appears that the opposite is indeed happening recently now more and more brands are exported to China. Jägermeister is “too difficult” for the Chinese to pronounce. It first became “YeGe” (sounds a bit like Jäger). But Buren was not exporting to China back then.
1910-1920 Buren:

Büren watch, said to be 1930’s but I think it may be a bit older:

Do German speakers pronounce Buren Uhr still like “Büren Uhr”? I would think you would be rather strict in that regard. Asking the way to Munster or to Münster would get you different directions after all. :slight_smile:

Hier staat de fraaie MinStop collectie van Volker:
https://c.web.de/@335023869452621298/BsuG4gVQS82y0z-NTR1EEQ/ROOT
Leuk om te zien!

4 likes