Pontiac only

Definitely not. Got this watch from my grandfather when I was a teenager. Must have been late sixties if I recall correctly. Completely original until this week when I got it serviced and it is now running smoothly again.

As I wrote before: interesting.
Back looks OK and has the long P, the model of the crown is OK as well.
Unfortunately this is a reference thatā€™s not in my database, so I have no possibility to compare it.
No stars under the logo, Iā€™ve only seen that on pre war models. So thatā€™s an inconsistency.

I hate people who holler ā€œredialā€ but until iā€™ve seen another one like this I have certain doubts. Sorry.

OkƩ top, bedankt voor je bericht! Denk dat ik hem maar laat servicen dan.

Thanks Maurits, I may have put you on the wrong track there re its age. When I said, I got it in the late sixties, that is when my grandfather gave it to me after wearing it for many years himself. So I actually donā€™t know what year it was made.

What sort of doubts you have? I didnā€™t think they would have made fakes thenā€¦

Deze sinds vandaag in mijn bezit. Iemand die me meer kan vertellen qua uurwerk en afkomst?

2 likes

Uit het jaar 2000 en gemaakt voor de Belgische spoorwegen.
En er zit een quartzwerk in.

No you didnā€™t :slight_smile:
I date this watch to just after the war. So my remark about the stars stands.

As I wrote before: I hate the redial argument.
But
I have a database with hundreds of Pontiac models none of which have this kind of logo
I know the brand quite well and have never seen this logo before.

But while nothing is impossible there remains some sort of doubt.

Letā€™s try and find some kind of reason/explanation
Its just after the war, the owners of the brand have returned from Japanese prisoner of war camps and want to restart their business as quickly as possible. The factory in Switzerland is not functioning yet, in those days watch movements had to be ordered at least a year beforehand and the order had to be OKed by the FH. (Swiss watch autority)
So they order ready made watches from some other factory which has stock and production capacity.
But this factory doesnā€™t know the brand and screws up the engraving of the printing plates.
Thereā€™s a big hurry to get back on the market so the error is grudgingly accepted. Time is money.
Yours is the only surviving watch of this batch. So thereā€™s no way to compare it to others.

Or the watch was repaired at some time in the past, the dial was in a sorry state and a well meaning watchmaker (in a far away country maybe) redid it but didnā€™t remember exactly what the logo looked like.

Until I find another watch with this reference or another one of another reference with the same logo weā€™ll be in the dark. And - for me at least - some sort of doubt remains.

Itā€™s a nice watch whichever way. And special since steel watches werenā€™t common in those days.
Enjoy wearing it.

1 like

Thanks Maurits, very intriguing and yes, I am happy to wear my grandfatherā€™s watch again, and not only for sentimental reasons.

So with the ETA2390 movement production period being fifties, the stars disappearing in the fifties, this watch would be from the early fifties then?

Until I find another watch with this reference or another one of another reference with the same logo

What do you mean by reference? Is that the 1287 number on the back?

Yours is the only surviving watch of this batch.

Hopefully there will be a few more hiding in drawers, just like my one did for 50 years :slight_smile:

Correct

The other way round. Iā€™ve only seen no star Pontiac watches from before the war. And after 1983.
Thatā€™s the second reason why I wonder about the logo.

1 like

Ja ik weet het, de datum, leuke avond

9 likes

Echt een prachtige Pontiac.

1 like

Die zitten bij mij op een supporterā€¦

1 like

3 likes

Leuke en prima draagbare Pontiac.

4 likes

Thanks
If the ref number 1287 doesnā€™t show in your database, what are the nearest references? And what do they mean?

Do you have a post on this forum where you have detailed your findings over the years? Would be very interesting.

Those old ref numbers do not have any logical meaning.
It was the next model produced that got the next number. And I know examples of two watches with the same ref. (albeit with an addition) that are quite different.
From somewhere in the sixties onwards until the early eighties there was a system showing metal, movement size, and some other characteristics.
So 1286 and 1288 might be watches with completely different looks, size and movement.
When I get home Iā€™ll have a look and see what the nearest number is to 1287.

13 likes

De gouden pijl uit de horlogekist

Ik wilde de batterij aangedreven Pontiacs ook niet vergetenā€¦
Links een Pontiac met Myota 6L22 werkje
Rechts een bijna nieuwe Pontiac International (werkt, maar geen batterij voorhandenā€¦)

7 likes

:heart_eyes:

11 likes